Saturday, August 28, 2010

Remember the Browns?


I'm reading an e-galley of the latest by Rick Bass, Nashville Chrome, a novel based on the lives and careers of the Browns, Maxine, Jim Ed, and Bonnie, who were the first group to have a hit on both the country and the pop charts.

At first, since I was reading a novel, I thought I was reading about a fictional group, but a side trip to You Tube quickly set me straight: I may have forgotten their name, but I grew up at a time when the Browns were radio regulars.

I remember them now.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to mention that Jim Ed Brown is a fairly regular host on the weekend Grand Ol' Opry and even did his most famous song, "Pop-a-Top" there with his granddaughter about two years ago. The Browns are minor country music royalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally remember The Browns. This was one of my favorite songs as a kid. I used to listen to a lot on a Reader's Digest set of country records.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years after this, Jim Ed Brown came out with a solo album called Gems By Jim. My parents bought it. I was in second grade. For some reason, I seized on this album, demanding that my parents play it all the time. I can almost recite sides a and b from memory.

    I can't wait to read the Rick Bass novel.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...