Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Latest stack of books



I decided to go on and take a picture of my latest book stack instead of waiting until the new Kate Atkinson arrives.

From the top:

David Quammen's The Soul of Viktor Tronko. A Nancy Pearl recommendation.

Molly Keane's Queen Lear. From Kathleen.

Georges Simenon's Pedigree. Spotted this on Danielle's wish list and had to have it.

Pat Conroy's South of Broad. From the publisher.

Nancy Mitford's The Blessing. Another Mitford for the collection.

Rafael Yglesias's A Happy Marriage. Heard about this on NPR. Haven't read Yglesias since Dr. Neruda's Cure for Evil.

Mary Lee Settle's Choices. Because I want to read more Settle.

Donald Lystra's Season of Water and Ice. Because of the cover.

Belle Boggs' Mattaponi Queen. Another because of the cover.

Howard Jacobson's The Finkler Question. Long-listed for the Booker.

Jon Clinch's Kings of the Earth. Because of all the love at BookBalloon.

4 comments:

  1. Kings of the Earth sounds amazing. I have the library copy, but not sure if I'll get to read it before the due date....story of my life. enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up Dr. Neruda's Cure for Evil at the last library book sale I went to based on the title and the description in the book jacket. I'm glad to see a recommendation for it here. I'll move it to the top of my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Kate Atkinson? Did you say there's a new Kate Atkinson?

    I must race to my Amazon wishlist and add yet another title to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Jon Clinch the guy who wrote Finn? I forgot to look for that when I was in the US. (Smiting forehead)

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...