Friday, June 24, 2005

A quick meme

Best I can tell, the person who started the following meme did it in retaliation of all the "snobby," "elitist" book memes he'd seen. So, of course, it's seemed ironic to see all the classics people probably read in high school or freshman year of college on their lists. I'll try to keep mine lowbrow.

List five books you liked well enough as a teen to read again as an adult.

1. My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara
2. Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! by M.E. Kerr
3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid by William Goldman
4. Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion
5. Couples by John Updike (mainly because I didn't have a clue what was going on the first time)

And a second list I'm tacking on:

List five books or authors you'll never read unless someone pays you at least a thousand dollars cash in advance to do so and even then you might be tempted not to do it

1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (that'll be $1,000 per volume, thankyouverymuch)
2. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (I don't care that it was your book club's biggest hit)
3. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce (because I'm not smart enough)
4. & 5. Ayn Rand & L. Ron Hubbard (When you're cheating to get your favorite to the top of the Modern Library list, please don't make it so bloody obvious).

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...