Monday, October 11, 2010

Latest stack of books aka Mailbox Monday


I think it's time for a book-buying ban. Any day now it shall commence.

(Yeah, right.)

And while I usually never get my act together enough to join forces with Mailbox Monday, today is an exceptional day because I have.

David Sedaris. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk. I'm already two Sedarises behind, but I figured S. would like this.

Charles Yu. How to Live in a Science Fictional Universe. My husband started this the day it arrived. He suffers from 30-pages-or-so syndrome, usually setting books aside at that point, so the verdict is still out on whether he'll finish.

The Lydia Davis translation of Flaubert's Madame Bovary. A giveaway from Frances at Nonsuch Book, for her group read of Madame Bovary that begins on Thursday. I've already finished Part I.

Kim Wright. Love in Mid Air. A giveaway from Becca at Bookstack. Kim's local, and we were in a writing workshop together back in the early 90s, so I'm definitely looking forward to reading her first novel.

Rick Perlstein. Nixonland. Because I need more history in my life.

Ron Chernow. Washington: A Life. Can it top my favorite biography of all time, Chernow's own Alexander Hamilton?

Adam Levin. The Instructions. This book is humongous. It's supposed to combine "the crackling voice of Philip Roth with the encyclopedic mind of David Foster Wallace."

And my download finger has evidently gotten a little twitchy. I still can't figure out how Orhan Pamuk's Museum of Innocence was ordered for the Kindle--I want to read it, yes, but I ordinarily don't buy novels that are readily available at the university library. Plus there's the fact that it's been a few months since I've even glanced at any Pamuk pages at Amazon, so it's all very weird. Could the cats have ordered it on accident?

I consciously bought Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic, since I've been intending to read for several years, and I've also acquired James Patrick Kelly's The Secret History of Science Fiction and Craig Sherbourne's Muck: A Memoir. My mother-in-law wanted several books downloaded onto her Kindle, so in the future I'll have access to the latest Sara Gruen and Julia Glass novels, if I need them.

And I surely will.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that Sedaris has a new book out. I am a big fan of his books, so I'll have to check it out.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so many good sounding books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mailbox! I'm a little intimidated by these, but maybe I need to check them out! :) Here's my Mailbox: Coffee and a Book Chick -- Mailbox Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not exaggerating when I say that is a BEAUTIFUL stack of books. I'm not even kidding! Georgous spines on those puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What alovely pile of books! The Instructions is huge! I've never heard of it but your description has me intrigued. My husband and I have both had our eyes on How to Live in a Science Fictional Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read a Sedaris book. They do sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, there are a few huge chunksters there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a gorgeous pile and yes the cats are responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My review of the Sedaris is coming up soon-it's different from his usual, but no less ascerbic in tone.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...