Monday, February 25, 2008

A baker's dozen of new books



Dead Man's Walk. Larry McMurtry. Gus and Call together again! The earliest prequel to Lonesome Dove.

Caligula and Three Other Plays, The Myth of Sisyphus: And Other Essays and Happy Death. Albert Camus. These three are for S., but I'm interested in reading the plays and alternative version of The Stranger myself. Myth is a replacement copy for the one that went awol last fall (I imagine the missing Netflix disc is in it as a bookmark wherever it may be).

The Eternal Husband. Fyodor Dostoevsky. I'll read it for the Russian Lit challenge but I bought this copy for the cover alone.

Hound Music. Rosalind Belben. This will give the old brain a work-out.

Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky. Patrick Hamilton. Should I start with this one, or with The Slaves of Solitude?

Jane Austen: A Life. Claire Tomalin. I've already finished this one.

A Dangerous Age. Ellen Gilchrist. A review copy via Library Thing. It's been several years since I've read any Gilchrist, so I'm looking forward to this one a lot.

The Men Who Stare at Goats. Jon Ronson. I love the title. Richard Dawkins excerpted it in The God Delusion.

World Made by Hand. James Howard Kunstler. Sylvia, didn't you read nonfiction by Kunstler last year?

Standing Still. Kelly Simmons. A review copy.

Baking: From My Home to Yours. Dorie Greenspan. An evil book I should not have bought: I've gained four pounds already!

11 comments:

  1. Baking?
    Is that any indication of the Sour Dough Bread success?

    I LOVE McMurtry. Lonesome Dove is one of my all-time favorite books. I do hae to read more of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the sourdough bread was a complete failure. We tried three times, but couldn't get a starter to live.

    Maybe we'll have better luck this summer, but I'm hoping I find someone who already has a starter to share. . .

    Lonesome Dove is one of my favorites, too. I've read Streets of Laredo, the one that comes after, but it just isn't the same without Gus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think all the Gilchrist I've read has been centered around Rhoda as well. There's something about all that upper class Southern sensibility that's a bit off-putting. . . I think this one's going to be a bit different, though. I hope so, at any rate.

    I read the first couple pages of Standing Still, decided this is what I want to read when I'm furious with my husband and want to blame him for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may well be the first blogger I've seen mention The Men Who Stare At Goats. I saw a bit about it several years ago, and it's been waiting eagerly on my wishlist ever since! I hope it's as good as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A diverse pile! I hope you enjoyed the Tomalin book as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I were choosing by title alone, I'd read Men Who Stare At Goats first. It just sounds so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title of the Patrick Hamilton book, so I'd grab it first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Ooh, you have to read the Belben first. You must! You must!! And then read the wonderful sequel Our Horses in Egypt: a stunning, shattering book. Forget the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh. Baaaaaking. *drools* *wanders off to the kitchen*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on reading the Austen bio by Tomalin this year, too. Did you like it? If I ever get to the bookstore, I will have a stack like that, too. I've got gift cards I'm itching to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Austen bio and would like to re-read it someday. Did you enjoyit?

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...