Sunday, July 01, 2007

Lou wondered where his information would go when he died. Would filaments of learning plant patterns on earth? Would his brain train the sinking plankton to know their way around the seafloor from here to Stellwagen Bank? Her brain would deliquese too, and with it all she had learned topside. Which was not much, she considered, nor anywhere near worked out. Bacteria would unhook her painstakingly linked neurons and fling them over their shoulders and carry them home to chew up for their horrific babies.

--Annie Dillard, The Maytrees

3 comments:

  1. I love Annie Dillard! I need to reread Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, and put more Dillard on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to finally get around to reading Pilgrim--I've had a copy for many many years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear more about this one.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...