Friday, June 27, 2008

Summer reading: ack!

I didn't post an official summer reading list on the blog back in May, but of course I did make one. I'm relieved that I didn't embarrass myself in that way this year because I've revised it so much already that I'm at the point of putting all lists through the shredder and never making another in my life. I'm just too distractable. Someone ought to take away my library privileges so that I can stop prioritizing by due date and start following either a more internalized Read at Whim! program or an honest-to-goodness rational plan.

The latest books to follow me home from the library:

The Well and the Mine. Gin Phillips

The Horse-Stealers and Other Stories. Anton Chekhov

The Calling. Inger Ash Wolfe

Winner of the National Book Award. Jincy Willett

Burr. Gore Vidal

As Above, So Below. Rudy Rucker

The Collected Works of Jane Bowles

Sing Me Back Home: Love, Death, and Country Music. Dana Jennings

And I've got holds on four more which should come in next month.

Tell me I don't need them.

5 comments:

  1. You probably don't need them, but what fun is there in that. I write this as I sit near a teetering pile of books myself . . .
    Good luck with whatever you read - life is too stressful already without pondering what to read too much.
    Easy to say, of course, but still true, I hope. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see you tomorrow during the read-a-thon, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever read books seasonally? I tend to read Russians (eg Chekhov) in the winter...hey, sometimes you need elimination strategies in addition to due dates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I've been holding off on Dostoevksy (for the Russian Challenge) till fall, and for some reason I like rereading Virginia Woolf over Christmas break, but in general I'm not seasonal at all. I do have a tendency not to want to re-check out a library book once I've returned it unread, so that's a sort of elimination strategy I suppose. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apart from the list o' review books I've received, I can't imagine trying to list out the books I'll read ahead of time. I never know what I'll be in the mood for!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...