Sunday, October 21, 2007

Readathon books and survey



1. Which hour was most daunting for you?

I read for 18 hours and called it quits. I wish now I'd taken a nap and gotten back to the books. I regret not participating at the end of the readathon.

2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?

Everyone should just read what suits their tastes.

3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

Not at this point.

4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

I thought the cheerleaders were terrific. They put in a lot of time and effort and I really appreciate all they did.

5. How many books did you read?

I read stories and essays mainly, so although I read a total of 484 pages (why oh why didn't I tally my totals last night so that I could have kept reading until I'd at least reached 500?) I didn't finish a single book.

6. What were the names of the books you read?

I read from the books pictured above:

Henry James's Selected Tales
Ron Rash's Chemistry and Other Stories
Phillip Lopate's The Art of the Personal Essay
Karen Russell's St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves
Rick Bass's The Lives of Rocks
Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale
William Faulkner's Collected Stories
Angela Carter's Burning Your Boats
D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow
Tessa Hadley's Sunstroke and Other Stories
Edith Wharton's The New York Stories
Christina Stead's The Puzzleheaded Girl

7. Which book did you enjoy most?

Stead's "The Puzzleheaded Girl" and James's "The Turn of the Screw."

8. Which did you enjoy least?

Carter's "The Bloody Chamber."

9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?

10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?

I'll definitely participate again as a reader.

Thank you, Dewey. The readathon was a great idea and a smashing success!

13 comments:

  1. 18 years - good for you. It sounds like you had a fun day of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the read-a-thon. Eighteen hours is nothing to sneeze at. You did very well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! That's a lot of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you participated. It was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on partipating in the read-a-thon! This was so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'm impressed with the 18 hours. I get buggy after two hours of reading.

    The Thirteen tales is an excellent book. Not something I would normally read, but MFS recommended it and she was right; as usual.

    Maybe I will try the readathon next year, if dewey decides to have it again.

    Take Care,

    Robin of mytwoblessings

    p.s. I seem to be running into you all over the internet. It is a small world, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robin! I hope to finish The 13th Tale tonight while I'm at work. It's certainly a lot of fun.

    I'm not used to reading for great lengths of time myself. There were several hours when I bet I read only half an hour tops during that space of time. But cumulatively I was happy with the amount of time I was able to concentrate on the books instead of zoning out. I'm a great zoner outer.

    You should definitely do the next readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great reading! i agree that the cheerleaders were fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:22 PM

    It was fun wasn't it? I think next year I will try to get around more to some of the other reader's blogs. I thought the cheerleaders were great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a good time! I think the cheerleaders were terrific, too. I hope there will be even more of them next year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a fabulous job! I may try it next year if I can. 24 hours is definitely a long time to spend in concentrated reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I was supposed to be a reader as well, but I had to bail out at the last minute, so I had fun reading your updates. I'll be there next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:27 AM

    I'm not sure I could read so many hours in a row. Angela Carter's writing is certainly different, isn't it? actually it's not so much how she writes, but about what she writes. I read one of her other volumes of short stories a while back. I think I will have to concentrate on The Rainbow once I finish Kristin Lavransdatter.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...