Thursday, November 08, 2007

Volume

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Would you say that you read about the same amount now as when you were younger? More? Less? Why?

When I was a kid I read all the time. My teachers never gave me a hard time about reading in class; in fact, they encouraged it since it was the easiest way of keeping my best friend and me quiet and under control after we'd finished our work (and we worked fast). We spent a great deal of time in the school library, where drop-ins were always welcomed (unlike the media centers my kids had to deal with). And, of course I read all the time outside of school as well. Interestingly enough, I was never actually assigned a book to read for school until I was in high school.

I didn't stop reading all the time until after college, when I was married and working full time. I became addicted to counted cross stitch and spent a few years stitching even more than I read. Throw in a couple of babies and an obsessive urge to write and it was a good decade on before I regained my read-all-the-time equilibrium, which I hope to maintain for the rest of my life.

Booking Through Thursday

4 comments:

  1. Those darn babies always interfere with our leisure time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:45 AM

    I made sure I took a job that meant I could be found reading at pretty much any time and no one would complain because it was part of the job description. It was the only way I could think of surviving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read constantly as a child and through high school. Often I will try to remember when I read a specific book, and I will think back that I read it when I was in high school. (Having two back-to-back study halls my senior year helped.) And I was one of those kids who spent every spare moment in the library! All of that changed when I joined the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:05 AM

    Yep, babies will do that. I do cross stitch as well, and that's what I find is suffering at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...