Thursday, November 01, 2007

It's baaaack. . . .

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The From the Stacks Winter Reading Challenge, that is, sponsored once again by Overdue Books.

And may I say it's good that I ordered books yesterday and the day before, because from now until Jan. 30, I'm prohibited. The rules state for this challenge we would be reading 5 books that we have already purchased, have been meaning to get to, have been sitting on the nightstand and haven't read before. No going out and buying new books. No getting sidetracked by the lure of the holiday bookstore displays. Last year I took the no buying new books part very seriously and I hope to do the same again. Because really, reading five books I own between now and Jan. 30 is a piece of cake. But going without new book purchases, now, that's challenging.

Not that I managed to go three months without buying books last year (just two, but that's an awful long time when you're on the Amazon site several times a day the way I am), but I did read from my own shelves, with only two library books somehow managing to foist themselves upon me, over the three months of the challenge.

Other than Christina Stead novels for Outmoded Authors and The Owl Service for the Slaves of Golconda group read, I should be library book-free until the end of January.

Gulp.

11 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do it. What about holiday gift cards? I would have to wait until January?

    I'm getting dizzy. I think I should sit down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:58 AM

    I am trying hard to wean myself from library books, but it has been hard. Since I am not really ordering anything (must pay off credit card...), I feel the need to have something new in my hands on occasion (though the library stack is completely out of control). I wish I could make myself just read what I own...life would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:45 PM

    You have more discipline than I ever could! No new books until the end of January and only the two library books? I think holiday gift cards would do me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, more than 165 new books have come into this house so far this year and I've order five more in the last couple of days. I feel a little queasy every time I think that. It will do me a world of good to hold off on any more for a few months.

    Gift cards can wait till January. . . or else, make sure there's one book in your order that'll take 3 to 6 weeks to delivery so that nothing arrives till the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspired me. I posted my list at M-mv and linked to you and to Overdue Books.

    No book purchases until January 30. Three Amazon Associates gift certificates and Christmas gifts stand between me and this challenge. I suppose I could spend my earnings on Christmas gifts.

    Or DVDs.

    *grin*

    Happy reading.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg. The world is now coming to an end.

    Are you sure you can do this? You're even more hardcore than me (plus you get heftier gift certificates).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm ... I should consider this. But what about Book Mooch? These days i find mooching much more tempting than going out to buy new books ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think most people interpret this challenge to mean that they complete five books they already own over this period of time and as long as they do that, they've been successful. *I'm* the one who really needs to make more than a five book dent in the books I already own category, so I focus more on the no more books part.

    I wouldn't stop mooching. There's no guarantee the books you want will be there in three months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Oh, you have me so excited now. I love when a challenge so perfectly aligns with what I want to do anyway. Can I get a dispensation for "Invisible Man" that I want to read for my book group, though? Other than that, I'm happy to read off my shelf since one of my hopes for this year was to do that anyway. (I don't do resolutions anymore, just hopes.)

    And, to cement my dedication, I am returning one library book unread (OK, it was due anyway) and I deleted the one I had on my queue. It was On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan, who authored AT LEAST one book on my TBR shelf. I must start practicing FIFO book reading (first in, first out) rather than LIFO (last in, first out).

    Sorry to blather on and on. Lots of caffeine + your stimulating challenge = long post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I offer you a dispensation for Invisible Man and any book needed for a book group. And please blog about Invisible Man because I'm beginning to feel guilty about having never read it and maybe your post will be what tips me over into Must Read It Immediately territory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a really good challenge. I am impressed at your ability to go three months without buying books. As a book addict, I just seem to succumb no matter what I pleadge.

    As a side note, I hope you enjoy The Owl Service. It is my husband's favourite book...he sent me a copy when we were dating so we now have two copies on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...