Friday, July 21, 2006

This dim coolness of my room was to the full sun of the street what a shadow is to a ray of light, that is to say, it was just as luminous and offered my imagination the full spectacle of summer, which my senses, had I been out walking, could have enjoyed only piecemeal; and so it was quite in harmony with my repose, which (because of the stirring adventures narrated in my books) sustained, like the repose of an unmoving hand in the midst of a stream of water, the shock and animation of a torrent of activity.

--Marcel Proust

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
One clover, and a bee,
And revery.
The revery alone will do,
If bees are few.

--Emily Dickinson

To imagine is everything, to know is nothing at all.

--Anatole France

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 AM

    I love the Anatole France quote. Imagination is so important, moreso in this information age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an extraordinarily beautiful coincidence of quotations (I don't know what the collective noun is, but I feel there should be one). You make me want to post on the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice series of quotes, they go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esp. love the Dickinson poem, which I hadn't read before.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...