Wednesday, July 05, 2006

New Computer

So we celebrated the 4th by getting a new computer.

The old one died over the weekend. It rallied there at the end after giving us daily fits for a week, probably just to confuse us, but by Monday morning it was dead dead dead. L. found an open store on the 4th and selected a sleek new grey one with an extra large plasma screen. New boxes for Ellie to play in!

It is sad to no longer have my vast collection of saved e-mails and rather unnerving to no longer have anyone's e-mail address.

L. is still in the process of transferring files from the two old hard drives unto the new. Some of my Word files have already made the transition and I'm trying not to hyperventilate over the fate of those still missing--surely they'll show up eventually.

Over the last few days I've used S.'s old computer for short internet fixes, but its connection has always been reliably undependable, and I had to reboot numerous times on Friday in order to publish my Spark post. I didn't participate in the Brodie discussion at the Metaxu Cafe over the weekend, therefore, but I did watch The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for the first time Sunday night.

I read Mary Lee Settle's The Scapegoat and started Rebecca West's The Judge. I ordered H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau for the next Slaves of Golgonda read and a dollar copy of The Thinking Reed for my Rebecca West project. I read the introduction to the Lydia Davis translation of Swann's Way for the Involuntary Memory group read. More bookish posts to follow.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 PM

    What did you think of the movie? I watched it for the first time over the weekend, too. She seemed less ominous to me in the movie--but like Sandy said at the end--Silly Woman. I admit that I watched more to be entertained and less to compare against the novel or to watch "critically".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all your files get found and make it onto your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch it in critical mode at all--too many noisy males in the room at the time. :) I disliked her from the start in the movie, though, whereas I liked her just fine in the beginning of the book.

    Have you watched The Driver's Seat yet, Danielle? I wish it were available in the libraries here--I'd love to see Liz Taylor in that role.

    Stefanie, my husband appeared very confident this evening that he'd be able to find all files and even promised to do something about all the lost e-mails--knowing that otherwise we've lost all our daughter's e-mails from her year in Germany has given him a valid reason to preserve (moaning about all my lost Dwight Yoakam pictures yesterday was obviously not a compelling reason for him to carry on).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:17 AM

    I am going to try and get The Driver's Seat through ILL. There are a few libraries that own it including one here in NE. I am curious how it translates into film.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...