Monday, July 10, 2006

Let the wild rumpus start!

L. just called to say he and S. have finally made it to the beach (they started late, turned around once and came home when they thought they'd forgotten something, then did the ritual getting lost thing). They're staying with L.'s family for a few days while I stay here giving meds to Ezra--she does have kidney disease, I'm sad to say, instead of a mere kidney infection as we'd hoped--and ordering carry-out when. ever. I. please.

And reading. This afternoon, several chapters from The Judge, which I positively love. Determining to read Rebecca West is proving to be a most enjoyable experience.

And ordering books on line. After applying my latest gift certificate, How Proust Can Change Your Life and Kristin Lavransdatter cost me all of $1.47.

And reading. This evening it'll be the "Overture" to Swann's Way, in honor of Proust's birthday. Maybe I'll get in the spirit of things and read it in bed.

Let the wild rumpus start!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry about Exra. I hope the meds help. Enjoy the the wild rumpus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Proust! I'm curious how you will like Kristin Lavransdatter; I've had my eye on that one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the third reference to How Proust Can Change Your Life I've seen today (two of them were people suggesting I would like it). That's it! I'm going to get a copy stat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:11 AM

    I keep meaning to tell you, I bought West's "Fountain" trilogy a few weeks ago. And I loved, loved, loved, "The Return of the Soldier", which I found at the same book sale. I wouldn't have picked them up except for your glowing recommendation, so thank you, and I'm anxious to hear all about "The Judge".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about Ezra; I hope the meds help.

    But yay for having the place and time all to yourself. It's such a nice thing to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:46 PM

    It's sort of nice having the family out of the way...and you can do whatever you please! Poor Ezra!! And I have Kristin Lavransdottir, too. Don't know when I will get to it, but I had intended to read it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Considering that my husband's sister's little daughter is "worse than ever," according to what both he and my son have told me, I'm rather happy that I had a legitimate reason for not going with everyone. There would have been no way I could have concentrated on Proust or West this week with a little kid running amok.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...