Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Photobucket

The wood is all flicker and murmur and illusion. Its silence is a pointillist conspiracy of a million tiny noises--rustles, flurries, nameless truncated shrieks; its emptiness teems with secret life, scurrying just beyond the corner of your eye. Careful: bees zip in and out of cracks in the leaning oak; stop to turn any stone and strange larvae will wriggle irritably, while an earnest thread of ants twines up your ankle. In the ruined tower, someone's abandoned stronghold, nettles thick as your wrist seize between the stones, and at dawn rabbits bring their kittens out from the foundations to play on ancient graves.

--Tana French, In the Woods

Oops, I've already deviated from my RIP Challenge list. Typical.

4 comments:

  1. This is on my list. I've heard many good things about it and the second book -- The Likeness (I think?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, The Likeness. I've got it on my desk at work. I hope to move from one to the other if I like In the Woods as much as I think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:22 PM

    I've put this one as one of my RIP possibilities. I hope it lives up to my (probably elevated) expectations, but I've heard a lot of good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard great things about this, so I ordered it, but while waiting for it in the mail I started another book in the interim. Now I have a library book that needs read. But it's definitely next....

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...