Monday, August 25, 2008

Ah, the challenge of it all

Photobucket

I know I overcommitted to reading challenges this year and that's cramped my Read at Whim! mantra to a certain extent, but there's no way I would let Carl's third R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge pass me by. I'll try for Peril the First, reading four books from the pool of potentialities below:

Elizabeth Gaskell's Gothic Tales (on the Kindle)

Walter de la Mare's The Return (on the Kindle)

Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca

Kate Atkinson's When Will There Be Good News?

Richard Hughes' In Hazard

Carlo Emilio Gadda's That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana

Ann Radcliffe's The Italian




Neither can I resist Kristi's What an Animal! challenge, which started July 1 and runs through June 30 next year.

The rules are simple:

1. Read at least 6 books that have any of these requirements:
a. an animal in the title of the book
b. an animal on the cover of the book
c. an animal that plays a major role in the book
d. a main character that is or turns into an animal (define that however you'd like ;>)).

The best part? I'd read three books that will count for this challenge before I even learned about it (and I'm not counting the mule books):

Richard Hughes' A High Wind in Jamaica. Tabby the cat!

Gerard Donovan's Julius Winsome. Hobbes the dog! (plus cover)

Charlotte Bacon's Split Estate. Horses, horses, horses! (plus cover)

I'm sure I'll read three more that qualify before next summer without an effort on my part, so no reading pool here, just a reliance on serendipity.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see some classic gothic fiction in your pool! And you're the first person I've seen whose pool includes electronic media...congrats on taking the reading challenge into the 21st century! :) So glad you're on board this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:57 PM

    I didn't finish in time to complete last years R.I.P.II challenge, but all of my selections were amazing, so I think I'll definitely be joining this time around.

    Gothic Tales sounds pretty nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The review that convinced me to try it:

    http://vulpeslibris.wordpress.com/2007/11/04/elizabeth-gaskell-gothic-tales/

    Plus I've enjoyed all the Gaskell I've read this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look for the Gaskell stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:40 PM

    Love your list. I might have to add some of them to me list for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIP III looks great. I'll add to my list. But your three animal links are askew. Julius Winsome is listed as High Wind in Jamaica again, and Split Estate links to High Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kaethe. I'll straighten out the links.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...