Friday, March 02, 2007

Brief Reading Update

I've been going to bed at 8:30 or 9 all this week. My exhaustion has been brought on by regular trips to the gym, no doubt, and will lessen--I hope--as I adjust to a non-slothful lifestyle, but for now it's really playing havoc with my reading.

A brief update:

Finished David Copperfield on Monday and S. finished it on Wednesday. We're still discussing.

I'm back to reading John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things and should finish it without fail this weekend.

I've read two stories from Rick Bass's The Lives of Rocks, "The Lives of Rocks" and "Yazoo," and I can tell that I'm going to enjoy this collection mightily.

I'm reading Diana Wynne Jones's Dogsbody on the treadmill. (This is why I haven't managed to lose any weight this week--I'm still moving slow enough to read.)

I have a shipment of books coming in from the UK, but I don't expect to be ordering anything in March or April. I can't shake this feeling of saturation. I want to read what I already have on hand.

Let's see how long that feeling lasts.

4 comments:

  1. I want to read what I own too -- I have WAY too many books on my TBR shelves. No new ones needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we would only write about the books that we know everyone else already owns we'd all be a lot better off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some books coming from the UK, too. Last time I ordered from Amazon I actually had a hard time choosing books to make up my $25 for free shipping. I know I have surpassed the saturation mark (and I feel guilty every time I order more books), but I am not sure how to stop myself. It's a sickness, I know. Did you like David C.? I am about 100 pages in and enjoying it, but I have a long way to go. This is my first proper Dickens, but I think it won't be my last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the nail right on the head. If we all read the same book we wouldn't be hearing about all those other wonderful books! But then, where's the fun in that? I really do enjoy reading others' reviews.

    Anxious to hear what you think of The Book of Lost Things. That's one I want to read.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...