Thursday, January 13, 2005


For someone like me, who loves literary references and allusions, who loves fiction that dares to consider the relative import of fiction, Heir to the Glimmering World is a goldmine. This is a book I may very well reread. I definitely want to read more Ozick.

I'm still mulling over the ending. Fortunes have reversed for all but the main character, our for-the-most-part narrator. Rose Meadows is primarily an observer, an outsider among outsiders, but still, I wanted more for her, more than a realization that her story has simply not been contained within the pages of this particular book, that what I know about her is a mere preface to her actual life.

Sometimes telling myself that a character's life must have turned out all right, didn't they eventually "write" the book I've been reading, is just not a satisfactory path to go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...