Tuesday, September 08, 2009

New books


There are so many good books being published this fall that I don't feel guilty for stockpiling them. My library hold list is so long that I've had to deactivate most of it, and I've pre-ordered so many books that I'm sure the mail carrier will be cursing my name (if she isn't already).

From the stacks on top:


Saplings. Noel Streatfeild and Hostages to Fortune. Elizabeth Cambridge. These are Persephones and I have found I have no willpower when it comes to Persphones.

Marcel Proust's Search for Lost Time: A Reader's Guide to The Remembrance of Things Past. Patrick Alexander. This is a review copy that I don't remember requesting, but am very happy to have. Maybe I'll use this as a crutch and take up where I left off in Proust two-three years back.

The Lost Dog. Michelle de Kretser. I won this in a drawing at kiss a cloud. Thank you, Claire!

The Good Thief. Hannah Tinti and The Graveyard Book. Neil Gaiman. These were given to me by my almost-sister-in-law, who travels a lot and buys a lot of books. I recommended she look in to getting an e-reader--not that I mind at all getting hand-me-downs.

Naive. Super. Erlend Loe. A mention at The Millions made me order this one.

The Year of the Hare. Arto Paasilinna. Dovegreyreader made me do it.

Frost at Morning. Richmal Crompton. I fell in love with Crompton after reading Family Roundabout at the beach. I suspect I'll be attempting to get some of her other books through ILL.

The Man on a Donkey. H.F.M. Prescott. I've heard this makes an excellent follow-up to Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall, which I've pre-ordered won't get my hands on until next month.

Columbine. Dave Cullen. Was tired of waiting for this one to become available at the library, so ordered it when my son needed a Toni Morrison for class to bump us up into free shipping territory.

And facing out:

The Pattern in the Carpet. Margaret Drabble. I've been reading Drabble for more than 30 years now.

A Gate at the Stairs. Lorrie Moore. The book I've been most anticipating all year! I'm almost afraid to start it since my expectations are so high.

Homer and Langley. E.L. Doctorow. I've been reading Doctorow almost as long as Drabble, but not nearly as much. It would make a good project to go back and read all the ones I've missed. But first: this one.

3 comments:

  1. You're very welcome! Hope you enjoy it (The Lost Dog).

    Which volume did you leave off Proust?

    I've only just read my first two Persephones the other week and now have ordered another.. don't know how I ever lived without them before. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, I read the first two. I think next up is The Guermantes Way. How far into Proust are you?

    I do wish Persephones were a bit cheaper. I'd love to buy a set of three from the actual store so that I could get the bookmarks, but, eep, there's no way I could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel Streatfield--an old childhood favorite, but I haven't read that title...must look up!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...