Thursday, September 17, 2009

Latest stack of books



I think I still have seven books preordered that should show up in the mailbox between now and the middle of November. I'm feeling the draw of older books, though--both classics and newer titles that have simply been on my shelves unread for too long--so I suspect and/or hope the stacks of new material become less frequent. (Yes, I know I've said this before.)

Pictured above:

True Murder. Yaba Badoe. I'm not sure where I originally heard about this one, but Amazon in the UK continued to recommend it to me until I broke down and ordered it from the Book Depository.

Reading by Lightning. Joan Thomas. Heard about it in a thread at Book Balloon. I like reading Canadians.

The Thing Around Your Neck. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I had a gift certificate to Borders and this was the book that cried out for me to take it home.

Blood's a Rover. James Ellroy. A review copy. This will be my first Ellroy and I chanced upon a rat torture scene while flipping through the pages so unless I grant myself permission to skim certain parts it may be my last. I'm such a Winston Smith.

Infinite Jest. David Foster Wallace. My own personal copy! Squee!

The Last Western. Thomas S. Klise. Because of this post at Infinite Summer.

9 comments:

  1. Reading by Lightning should be good. I borrowed it from the library some months ago and had only gotten a few pages in when it was due and couldn't renew as it was on hold for someone else. I think it's a good one to purchase, the first pages were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire, that's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love James Ellroy, but somehow, I don't think he's going to be for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Want me to send you the book once I'm done, C.B.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thing Around is a lovely book, though I don't find myself raving about it like I did the author's previous two books. Short stories are handy for carrying along; you can read a bit here and there and not lose anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pile. And I like the gargoyle looking on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, you just reminded me of the Adichie book. I need to see if my library has that one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only know True Murder and I have to say that Amazon are right - it is a gem - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one buying books! I have an order coming from Amazon any day now. Hopefully tomorrow! The reading list is back! Did you like Dance Night?

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...