Monday, August 17, 2009

New books


I've another stack of new books to share. From the top:

Good Evening, Mrs. Craven. Mollie Panter-Downes. Danielle has been singing Panter-Downes' praises for awhile, so I couldn't resist this new Persephone Classic edition as an introduction to the author. I also have Panter-Downes' novel, One Fine Day, checked out from the library.

The Truth About These Strange Times. Adam Foulds. Foulds' latest, The Quickening Maze, has been longlisted for the Booker, and while I wait for a U.S. publication date or a U.K. paperback edition, I thought I'd give his first novel a try.

Middlesex. Jeffrey Eugenides. I already owned an audio version of this, but I'm more likely to read it than listen to it. From the used bookstore.

The Moonflower Vine. Jetta Carleton. Touted by Jane Smiley, Neglected Books, and the savvy readers at Book Balloon.

Running with Scissors. Augusten Burroughs. From the library sales table.

The Summer Kitchen. Karen Weinreb. A review copy. I thought it might be interesting to compare/contrast this with Stewart O'Nan's The Good Wife.

That Old Cape Magic. Richard Russo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be as funny as Straight Man.

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. David Foster Wallace. The university library has all of Wallace's books except this one. I think I'll want to read them all once finished with Infinite Jest.

Celestial Navigation. Anne Tyler. Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant was the first Tyler I owned in hardback. I've been trying for years to replace all my ratty paperbacks with hardbacks; I now lack just the first three.

Noah's Compass. Anne Tyler. Decided I couldn't wait till January for the U.S. publication, so I preordered it from the Book Depository.

Children of the Alley. Naguib Nahfouz. Picked up in the used bookstore while waiting out a cloudburst Sunday afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. It's sort of weird that Anne Tyler is being published in the UK before being published here, but then Sarah Waters new book came out here first, so I won't complain about that! I loved One Fine Day by MPD and I also read her first book, which was nicely sentimental (perhaps too much so for modern readers, but I enjoyed it). I have this same set of stories to read, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of the new Anne Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celestial Navigation is my favorite of her early novels. Except for the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty fabulous pile of books...can't wait to start reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...