Thursday, September 13, 2007

Comfort Food

Booking Through Thursday

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?

Here's the all-time ultimate comfort food list (for me, anyway):

Searching for Caleb, Anne Tyler

The Realms of Gold, Margaret Drabble

Harriet the Spy, Louise Fitzhugh

Howards End, E.M. Forster

Terrible, Horrible Edie and Edie on the Warpath, E.C. Spykman

screenplay to my favorite movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, William Goldman
&
script to the pilot of my favorite TV series Alias Smith and Jones, Glen Larson and Matthew Howard (I read these two after 9/11 when I couldn't read anything else--the outlaws of my childhood are truly the ultimate in comfort food)

3 comments:

  1. I love Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. If I was too upset to read, I would probably watch a movie like that one or The Sting. And you have the script for the pilot to Alias Smith & Jones? Blast from my past! I used to enjoy that show too but was so upset when Pete Duel killed himself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Harriet the Spy so often when I was young I'm surprised the library didn't just give me the copy; it spent more time with me than with them. Thank you for reminding me of how wonderful it is, I must try and find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:36 PM

    I just read an essay about Harriet the Spy today! I'd read Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block, Possession by AS Byatt, and Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...