Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Reading challenges


Booklogged's spearheading the Winter Classics Challenge--read five classics in the months of January and February--and I've selected my titles.

If I don't finish them this month, I will of course be reading Proust's In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower and Stendhal's The Red and the Black (we've been granted permission to overlap other reading commitments, thank God).

I'll also be reading:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Ward No. 6 by Anton Chekhov
Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello

And if I do finish Proust and Stendhal before the challenge begins I'll be adding Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks and Thomas Hardy's The Return of the Native to the list.

As far as Overdue Books' From the Stacks Challenge goes, I've managed to read the requisite five books already, but I'm hoping to continue reading only books I own till the end of January. I have not set foot in a bookstore in a month. I have no books checked out from the public library and have none on hold. I am hoarding books from the university library, but I'm giving those an exemption since I can keep renewing them until the challenge is over. And my one Amazon order with a gift certificate hinged around a yet-to-be-published book and won't be delivered until late January.

If I could just finish some of the books I have in progress. . .

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of From the Stacks Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 PM

    I am so impressed that you haven't been in a bookstore or library this month. You are doing so well with this challenge.

    Happy to hear you're joing in the Classics Challenge. Again, I am impressed with your choices - especially Crime and Punishment. I'm going to get brave enough some day, but I don't think I'm quite ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:18 PM

    I had never heard of the Pirandello book. That sounds quite good. So glad you are joining in on this challenge as well. I'm getting such a kick from reading everyone's lists. I'm still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...