Thirteen random things about my current reading life:
1. C. placed "a definite must read" on my desk for me today. I scooped it up with a couple of books I'd brought from home when it was time to leave the library, forgetting to desensitize it. It is embarrassing to set off the gate alarm with a book called Old Filth.
2. I am very behind in my Proust reading--haven't picked up In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower since late September. I'm hoping to make a good deal of progress in it this weekend.
3. I read Katherine Mansfield's story "At the Bay" last night and am looking forward to its discussion at A Curious Singularity.
4. I read chapter four (paragraphs) in Reading Like a Writer tonight.
5. An Amazon package was thrown on my front porch today! In it was Thomas Hardy's The Return of the Native (can't believe I've never read this one) and C.S. Forester's Beat to Quarters.
6. Claire Tomalin's bio of Thomas Hardy is being published in the U.S. in January. I have a coupon already earmarked for it.
7. I found it difficult not to continue reading The Red and the Black once I'd finished the first batch of chapters for discussion next week.
8. I've read the first two or three letters in Diane Smith's Letters from Yellowstone and think it will be a good choice to take to the polls with me on Tuesday.
9. I'll probably also take Kate Atkinson's One Good Turn.
10. Three hundred pages to go in The Italian!
11. A new story by Lorrie Moore is always a thrill. I'm forcing myself to wait until the weekend to read it.
12. Litlove's post on Indiana proves that yes, I am a philistine.
13. Even so, I am really looking forward to reading lots of classics next year.
Sherman Alexie cancels book tour for memoir about his mother.
Why is Ben Murphy so happy? Because for once in his life, he's on time. He beat Roger Davis, Steve Kanaly and the moderator to the pan...
Last night I read Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending . Yes, the night before it went up against Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil Al...
This interactive book consists of a series of questions, the answers to which are found in the final word in the questions. For example,...