Books don't make it onto my Lifetime Favorites List (click on profile above if interested in said list) without holding up to a re-read, or two or three (the lone exception: Lonesome Dove, a book I constantly dip into but have yet to re-read from cover to cover for a second time). I'm currently on my seventh re-read of the year (Macbeth, with my son) and intend to bring in 2007 with a re-reading of Crime and Punishment.
As a blogger who knowingly provides her share of pooter posts (thanks go to Dorothy for finding The Diary of a Nobody) , I thought I'd share of list of books I haven't yet re-read, but fully intend to at some point. I think all of these, even if they do not eventually make their way onto the definitive lifetime list, will at least provide just as much pleasure as they did on the first go-round.
1. David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.
2. Rebecca West's The Judge.
3. Stephen Wright's The Amalgamation Polka.
4. Kate Atkinson's Case Histories and One Good Turn. I want to read them back to back so I can determine which I actually enjoy more.
5. Eudora Welty's Delta Wedding.
6. Richard Russo's Straight Man.
7. Steven Millhauser's Edwin Mullhouse.
8. Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red.
9. Haven Kimmel's The Solace of Leaving Early.
10. Robert Boswell's Century's Son.
11. Arnold Bennett's The Old Wives' Tale.
12. Franz Lidz's Unstrung Heroes.
13. A.S. Byatt's The Virgin in the Garden (and all its sequels save the last, which I didn't like at all).
The last nine books listed, ones I've read prior to the last year or so, are currently showcased in My Bookstore.
Sherman Alexie cancels book tour for memoir about his mother.
Why is Ben Murphy so happy? Because for once in his life, he's on time. He beat Roger Davis, Steve Kanaly and the moderator to the pan...
Last night I read Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending . Yes, the night before it went up against Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil Al...
This interactive book consists of a series of questions, the answers to which are found in the final word in the questions. For example,...