Saturday, January 02, 2010

What would your good do

"No sooner do you appear on the roof than you blab nonsense, and I'll tell you what it is--it's in your intonation. You pronounced your words as if you refuse to acknowledge the existence of either shadows or evil. But would you kindly ponder this question: What would your good do if evil didn't exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared? After all, shadows are cast by things and people. Here is the shadow of my sword. But shadows also come from trees and from living beings. Do you want to strip the earth of all trees and living things just because of your fantasy of enjoying naked light? You're stupid."

--Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

3 comments:

  1. I knew I should read that someday! People have been telling me how great that is forever! Wonderful quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to the audiobook of this while commuting and had to listen to every cd twice, although felt it was worth it. I'm going to start it again this week on my commute. It's an odd book, and oddly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my radar for years, and is finally sitting on my TBR shelf. I don't know, though, if I am ready for it. It seems like a challenge and I don't know if I am in the mood yet. What is your overall recommendation?

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...