Saturday, January 09, 2010

Library Loot


These are the latest books I've brought home from the library. I wish finding the time to read everything immediately was as easy as finding books that interest me.

Memories of the Future. Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky. Russian short stories from the 1920s. A blurb on the back calls Krzhizhanovsky "a poker-faced surrealist whose imagination is so radical it goes beyond political lampoon into the realms of metaphysical assault."

Reasons for Advantages of Breathing. Lydia Peelle. I'm interested in reading Peelle's short stories because Gillian Welch interviewed her in Bomb last fall. I love Gillian Welch.

Manhood for Amateurs. Michael Chabon. Personal essays--"beautifully written meditations," according to MFS.

The Three of Us. Julia Blackburn. Memoir. I think I saw this on some overlooked books of the decade list.

Too Much Happiness. Alice Munro. Short stories. Is any further explanation necessary?

The Anthologist. Nicholson Baker. The latest by my cat's namesake; it made Dorothy's best of 2009 list.

The Love of Stones. Tobias Hill. Because I thoroughly enjoyed The Hidden.

Lit. Mary Karr. Memoir. I skipped Cherry, but loved The Liars Club years ago.

Far North. Marcel Theroux. Postapocalyptic road novel set in Siberia.

The Night Watch. Sarah Waters. Danielle and Jeanne both read this one recently and I wanted it on hand for when I'm finished with The Little Stranger, which I should be starting in a day or two.

Tomorrow: the last New Books stack of 2009.

16 comments:

  1. I can't WAIT to read Michael Chabon's book! I looked thru it at the book store, and it looks HILARIOUS!

    Nice loot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Far North recently and really enjoyed it, but it was eclipsed by The Road by Cormac McCarthy, which I read immediately after, on a similar post apocalyptic theme and is by far a better book.
    thanks for sharing
    much love Martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I know exactly what you mean about finding the time to read all those interesting books! I've also got Nicholson Baker's "The Anthologist" checked out of the library at the moment. Just started reading it, and so far it seems a little odd but good. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Anthologist was also one of my favorite books of '09, if not the decade. I didn't expect to love it so much after the first ten pages or so, but after that it was true love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent pile! I treated myself to Memories of the Future about a month back; I'm hoping to get to it in the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that feeling well. I hope you like The Night Watch. It was a little weird orienting myself when the second half jumped back in time, but I really liked it. And I have a huge pile of library books, too, which I full expect to read few of...in keeping with last years stats anyway. They're like snow--they accumulate so fast but it takes weeks to really dig yourself out from under (I'm so tired of the snow...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an intriguing stack of books! I've never even heard of Krzhizhanovsky, but now that you've introduced me to him, I'm adding him to my short story challenge list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I so know what you mean about wanting to have as much time to read as finding books that interest me. I have so many I want to read and not enough time to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read The Anthologist. There's just something about Nicholson Baker's writing that really clicks with me.
    Gotta visit my library; I think it misses me so bad...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I have a similar addiction it seems.
    Not only books [which is obvious] but books FROM THE LIBRARY.
    I love the Library.

    Of this current stack shown, I have read the Alice Munro and the Sarah Waters. Both of which were VERY good.
    My next read is going to be Sarah Waters' new one, The Little Stranger. It's not "little". And, strangely enough, NOT from the Library. This one was a lovely Christmas gift to me me me me!
    All the best to you, in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some great books. I hope you like the Baker! (I suspect you will.) I like the Peelle book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I never have enough time to read everything. Enjoy the books. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got Baker's book around somewhere. I've got to find it, after all, what really and I waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those spines all look lovely together. :) And the books all sound wonderful, so I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really, really need to read Sarah Waters. I think I am going to love her when I do, but I just haven't managed to yet!

    Enjoy your loot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Gillian Welch, too. Yet another reason to feel kinship with you (aside from loving 90% of the books you ever bring here.)

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...