Monday, April 30, 2012

Books Read in April

This month the same tile that's in the kitchen was laid in the family room. There was a great shifting around of furniture, resulting in the family room looking the best it ever has, and the living room becoming the depository of a sofa and two wingback chairs that desperately need reupholstering.

And the books went back on the tbr bookcase now situated a newly-created "study corner" of the living room. They'll have to come off once I decide what color the bookcase should be painted, but for now it's enough just to have the books off the floor.

This month I completed:

The Great Fortune, The Spoilt City, and Friends and Heroes. Olivia Manning. Now that I've completed The Balkan Trilogy, I'm eager to continue on with Harriet and Guy Pringle in The Levant Trilogy. Has anyone watched The Fortunes of War?


The Beginner's Goodbye. Anne Tyler. If you want to know why I was thrilled when the main character in Tyler's latest checked his phone messages, read Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant first. Luke Tull lives!

The Last Gentleman. Walker Percy. I'd been plotting to reread The Moviegoer this year, but Jeanne inspired me to pick up this one instead. And a good thing, too: I'd forgotten everything.

The Abbess of Crewe. Muriel Spark. A very short book that I had to force myself to finish. I think I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

And three novels from the Some Dark Holler list:

The Cove. Ron Rash.

A Land More Kind Than Home. Wiley Cash

The Ballad of Trenchmouth Taggart. M. Glenn Taylor

I'll have something more to say about the last three later.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great reading month in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for inspiring someone to pick up a Walker Percy novel! I'm rereading Love in the Ruins next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke does, indeed, live on. I had the same reaction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Balkan Trilogy - fantastic! I am a huge fan. I haven't yet seen the TV adaptation, but I have heard it's great. I also have Levant Trilogy sitting on the TBR pile but have not gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...