Monday, April 11, 2011

Library Haul

This picture is so out-of-date. I have three books "in transit" for me at the public library, three on my desk at the university library, and four that I brought home last week.

I cannot possibly get to them all, but I'm going to try!

Journey Into the Past. Stefan Zweig.

The Last Brother. Nathacha Appanah

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives. Lola Shoneyin

The Universe in Miniature in Miniature. Patrick Somerville

Emerald City and Other Stories. Jennifer Egan

Model Home.  Eric Puchner

Thirteen Orphans. Jane Lindskold

Father of the Rain. Lily King

Red Hook Road. Ayelet Waldman

Poems. Elizabeth Bishop

Never Say Die: The Myth and Marketing of the New Old Age. Susan Jacoby

Wish You Were Here. Stewart O'Nan

The Illumination. Kevin Brockmeier

When the Killing's Done. T.C. Boyle

Ship Breaker. Paolo Bacigalupi

The Empty Family. Colm Toibin

The Collected Stories. Grace Paley

9 comments:

  1. Have you considered a 12 Step Program for book hoarding? LOL

    Seriously, so many of these look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I thought you had gone on another buying spree this time at a library sale :) Now you need a long vacation to so you can read all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have several that speak to me: Bishop, O'Nan, Waldman, Boyle, Toibin and Paley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pile! Outdated or not, I hope you enjoy your books. I don't think there's anything here I've read so I look forward to learning more about them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:00 PM

    That's quite the list, and quite the pile picture for that matter! I've heard great things about The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives, and I'm just waiting (not entirely) patiently for my library to get another copy in. Great Library Loot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now the Egan book is clamoring since she just won for A Visit From The Goon Squad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to read the Waldman. Love the poems of Elizabeth Bishop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to read the Waldman. Love the poems of Elizabeth Bishop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading your blog for a while, and this pile of books made me think you'd be a good person to ask this question of.
    I'm looking for mothering narratives- novels, essays, short stories, memoirs. Can you think of any books that you would classify as this?
    I would really appreciate some help!
    My email address is cynthiammiller(at)excite(dot)com
    Thanks!! (And if anyone else has any ideas- please send me an email, too!)

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...