Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Read-a-thon Post

Photobucket

(8:25 am)

Happy Read-a-thon Day!

I started an hour early, since I was awake and was eager to finish Her Fearful Symmetry, which I had been unable to resist starting late yesterday afternoon (I came home from work early). I've now read the final 73 pages and am trying to decide what I want to read next.

I'm going to update this post throughout the day instead of having several different posts on my progress.

~~~~~
(8:40 am)

A first hour meme:

Where are you reading from today?
My reading chair in Charlotte, NC, with expectations that some of the reading will take place with me on the treadmill.

3 facts about me …

Today's my birthday.

Pages Turned is five years old today.

I stayed up too late reading last night and will no doubt suffer for it now that the read-a-thon has officially started.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? I couldn't wait, so I've already read two of them--Lynn Freed's The Servants' Quarters and Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry. I think that leaves five from the official stack, but there are literally hundreds more in the house to chose from if those don't feel quite right.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? Nary a one.

If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? Have fun!

~~~~

12:23 pm

Just finished A.L. Barker's The Haunt. A strange little book with an odd assortment of characters.

I think I shall turn my attention to Dave Eggers' Zeitoun for awhile.

~~~~

4:43 pm

Just dropping in to say I am loving Dave Eggers' Zeitoun. I've finished parts I and II and am now taking a break to look at a friend's wedding registry.

~~~~

6:42 pm

Finished Zeitoun. It was fantastic. Trying to decide what I'm in the mood for now.

39 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I stayed up a bit too late last night as well so I am worried I won't be able to stay up the whole 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! And happy read-a-thon day! I am dying to read Symmetry. Great little meme to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning and HAPPY BIRTHDAY :o)

    My name is Louise and this is my first visit to your blog. I am already looking forward to visit again and check it out more :-)

    I live in Denmark and have been up for hours, since I am nine hours ahead of Pacific Time and 5AM Pacific Time means 2PM in Copenhagen, Denmark.

    I wish you much luck with your readathon. I have signed up this year for the first time, although I am not reading but cheerleading.

    Those first hours I am going to orientate myself a bit, check out the blogs participating, hanging out on Twitter and so on. I might sneak in a bit of reading here and there, but my main thing is to cheer so GO! GO! GO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:10 AM

    Traditional read-a-thon blessing:

    May the bookshelf be there to greet you.
    May all the books appeal.
    May the fridge be full of tasty snacks;
    the words fall soft upon your eyes and until the read-a-thon ends,
    may you always hold a book in the palm of your hand.

    Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! HFS is a great choice for the readathon too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun is the key! I loved Her Fearful Symmetry. Enjoy your readathon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, happy birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read Her Fearful Symmetry! I own it, but I have been too busy to get to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today's your birthday, your blogaversary, and the read-a-thon? Now that's a big day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! What a great way to spend a birthday: reading your eyes out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! Read tons of books and have a lot of fun!;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:32 AM

    happy birthday! good luck on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo hoo! You're doing great! Hope you're having fun so far! READ! READ! READ!

    (As for tips, you may want to turn off word verification for your comments, if just for the day! More cheering! Yay!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice of the Readathon Powers-that-be to hold the event on your birthday.
    What kind of cake are you having? Just hun...uh, curious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to you! Looks like you are making great progress for the marathon reading session already!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope all is going well now that we are into the 5th hour of the Read-a-Thon :) Cheering from Copenhagen, Denmark...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1:41 PM

    Keep going...you're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very happy readathon! Enjoy your books :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Her Fearful Symmtry was so creepy! Glad you are having fun so far.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are doing great. I got a little thrown off schedule this am, but I’m back on track now. Keep up the good work!

    I will surely need a nap a bit later unless, I walk around the house constantly until I fall over from exhaustion...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. aww, happy birthday. I hope that you are having the best one ever...spent reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blog birthday! You are rolling right along, aren't you? Keep reading and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good going, hope you're having fun, you're moving at quite a pace there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like you're doing great so far! Good luck in the rest of the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday!

    Oh and remember I said I was going to wait for Zeitoun to come out in paperback? Well I didn't. I've ordered it and should be arriving soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hope you are enjoying the readathon and "Zeitoun"!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck with the read-a thon and happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Crissy7:44 PM

    Happy birthday, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want to read Zeitoun.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like you're having a fantastic day of reading! Have fun! :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's really hard to choose what to read next, isn't it? So much pressure when the clock is ticking :-) Seems like you're picking good books, though. Hope you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I can't wait to see what you choose next. Keep up the good work.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Birthday! Happy blogiversary and hope you're having fun reading. And I hope someone also cooked you a really wonderful dinner, too (or at least gave you some books for your birthday)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You're doing great!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. We're in the final quarter! You've done great so far-see it through to the end! You can do it!

    And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You've done a great job! Keep it up and enjoy the rest of your reading. The end is near!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy belated blog birthday! What a way to celebrate five years too! Thanks for adding to my TBR pile over the years. I look forward to its continued growth because of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You started a blog on your birthday?! Happy natal and blog anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...