Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stockpile!



If only I were reading as quickly as I'm accumulating. . .

Julia Strachey's Cheerful Weather for the Wedding

Elif Shafak's The Flea Palace

Snorri Sturluson's The Prose Edda

Ivy Compton-Burnett's Manservant and Maidservant (one of Iliana's suggestions for Slaves; we selected Patrick Hamilton's The Slaves of Solitude for discussion at the end of May)

Caroline Blackwood's Great Granny Webster

Winifred Peck's House-Bound

Jocelyn Playfair's A House in the Country

A.S. Byatt's The Children's Book

Reif Larsen's The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (review copy)

Hilary Mantel's Learning to Talk

John Wyndham's The Chrysalids

Hilda Bernstein's The World That Was Ours

Elizabeth Taylor's At Mrs. Lippincote's

Dorothy Whipple's The Priory

Dorothy Whipple's They Were Sisters

Bernard Beckett's Genesis (review copy)

Ian McDonald's Cyberabad Days

Christina Sunley's The Tricking of Freya (review copy)

Marcelle Pick's The Core Balance Diet

And purchased for the Kindle:

Christian Moerk's Darling Jim

Michael Dirda's Book by Book

E.M. Delafield's Diary of a Provincial Lady (because of MFS and Danielle)

Janet Malcolm's Reading Chekhov (because of Dorothy)

W. Somerset Maugham's The Magician

Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship (because of its incorporation into Andrew Crumey's Sputnik Caledonia)

9 comments:

  1. Delicious pile of books! I've been waiting for the new Byatt book. Don't know if I can hold off until the paperback comes out..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome stacks of books you have there! I'd love to read a bunch of them myself, including the Delafield and the Maugham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a glorious lot of books! I'm particularly keen to check out the new Byatt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What jumps out at me is House-Bound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice little haul of books! I think I have found a rival book hoarder. I didn't think anyone accumulated books as quickly as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really have no room to say I'm jealous as I've been accumulating books one way or another, but those are still lovely piles. Those Persephones are especially nice! I'll be curious to see what you think of the Moerk book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a stack! I am so jealous. I'd love to read the Strachey & Whipple. (just finished the Byatt)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice pile of books. I am dying to place my first order for Persephone books. I have about five titles that I am waiting somewhat patiently to order. I have to wait a month or so...

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...