Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What's in a Name Challenge

I have no business signing up for any more reading challenges, but I saw Annie's What's in a Name Challenge at Danielle's, and I had fun coming up with books for the categories, and I'd like to read these books, so I guess I'm participating whether or not I ought to. The challenge runs throughout 2008.

The categories and some possible choices:

1. A book with a color in its title.

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Scarlet Thread by Doris Betts

2. A book with an animal in its title.

The Birds Fall Down by Rebecca West

The Snoring Bird byBernd Heinrich

Led-Horse Claim by Mary Hallock Foote

3. A book with a first name in its title.

Ulysses by James Joyce

Cousin Rosamund by Rebecca West

4. A book with a place in its title.

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

In America by Susan Sontag

Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk

5. A book with a weather event in its title.

The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin

6. A book with a plant in its title.

Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley

February Flowers by Fan Wu

And a bedroom update: L.'s boss reneged on the two-weeks of vacation. Coal in that man's stocking! So instead of painting this week and installing the wood floor next week, we have to do everything next week during L's measly little one week vacation (he'd actually asked for the entire month off). Can we say carry-out for Christmas Eve dinner?

We've moved out what we can and we have the wood acclimating in the middle of the room (I've already managed to stub my knee). I so can't wait to have all this work behind us.

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't pass on this one either. I think I'm too addicted to making lists--everything sounds good, and then I get myself into trouble. Oh well. I'd like to read the Waugh, Sontag and Cusk books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is extremely tempting - Flame Trees of Thika was wonderful as was it's sequel the Mottled Lizard. I'll have to think about this challenge since I'd have a whole year to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun list of books for the challenge.

    Too bad about the shortened vacation. Good luck with the flooring! Are the cats enjoying having everything moved around?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cats love it so far--all the furniture pushed together in the middle of rooms makes for some fun times, let me tell you.

    Pamela--I'm looking forward to the Huxley. I read Red Strangers several years back and enjoyed it a lot. If you decide not to do this particular challenge, I hope you find another one; they're one of the perks of the book blogging world. :)

    Danielle--your book lists are The Best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea. It's random, so you can read broadly. I get a little freaked with challenges that force me down one path for a long time.

    You've got some winners. I'll be with you on Ulysses, which is part of my Reading Dangerously challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Having vacation cancelled sucks, especially Xmas. Does this man (the boss) not have a conscience?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nasty boss. I am so sorry to hear that L works for Scrooge.

    As for this challenge, yes, it is tempting me as well. I might just have to join in! I like your choices, lk is right, it is satisfyingly random.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re: L.'s boss: He was probably afraid he wouldn't have a job himself to return to come January if he didn't get the implementation done.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...