Monday, June 19, 2006

Bad weekend

Not a good weekend. A bloody awful one as a matter of fact.

Our pug was attacked by a much larger dog early Saturday morning. The morning routine is to put her out the back door then meet her at the front when she's finished doing her doggie business (it doesn't take long since she knows we feed the cats canned food while she's outside. She likes to eat the leftovers). We assume someone else must have put their own dog out to "self walk" on Saturday and the animal added a quick dash through other people's yards when it encountered geriatic gimpy Ginger, methodically moving through her morning routine, and whoever initiated the confrontation, Ginny came out the worse for it, with puncture wounds on her back, side and front leg.

The vet thought a thousand dollar surgery would be ideal, but he also thought Ginny would be facing a six-months quarantine confinement once she recovered since records showed she'd not received a rabies booster the last two times we'd taken in and that he might not get an answer out of Animal Control in Raleigh until Monday. At that point we were all in agreement that it might be better to have her put to sleep.

But then the return call came in from Raleigh that if we signed a form stating we were aware she might have rabies, she could go home with us. We opted not to spring for surgery, but to have her wounds cleaned and closed and see how well she'd do on antibotics and pain meds. So far she appears to be doing well, but we'll get the official opinion when she goes in for a check-up this afternoon.

S. had to stay with her while L. saw R. off at the airport in Raleigh and I drove her car back to Charlotte from Chapel Hill (this after a quick lunch in Durham). R.'s been sick and on antibiotics since Friday (and L. just showed up home from work with some of the same symptoms), so you can imagine how much enthusiasm she had the 21-hour trip she had in store. Unless she encountered even more delays than were built in to start (long layovers in Boston and London), she should have reached Prague about an hour ago.

And then when I got home from work last night, I discovered that even though S. had set up the dvr properly to record Deadwood, the machine malfunctioned and recorded Full House instead.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:54 PM

    Oh man, what a crappy weekend (not least to come home to a recorded episode of Full House--yuck). I hope your dog is okay--poor thing! And I hope Ginger got in at least one good bite as well! (sorry, that's not very nice of me, but what can I say...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 PM

    So sorry to hear about your dear little pug. There are some nasty people out with nasty dogs. You should tell the SPCA. There may be other incidents in the area and maybe they can investigate and put a stop to it. Here the laws are getting quite strong with respect to dangerous dogs and the people who own them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about poor Ginger. I'll be thinking good thoughts for her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how terrible! I hope your dog recovers well! Poor thing. I love pugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. The vet said yesterday that she's doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances and that she hadn't lost any ground since Saturday (translation: You should've sprung for the thousand dollar surgery despite the fact that she's 14 years old). He told me to massage the wounds to help with drainage and she didn't fight me when I did so last night, so this morning I have two loads of bloody laundry to prove that my efforts were quite successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Full House instead of Deadwood? That's almost funny.

    So sorry about Ginger. I couldn't imagine if that happened to my dog...well my parents' dog, but I grew up with it. Get better Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Ginger! I hope she will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, sorry to hear about your very awful weekend. I hope Ginger improves quickly, as well as all the humans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I'm so sorry. Sending you good thoughts.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:24 PM

    Wow, Susan, I'm sorry. I hope things improve for Ginger and everyone else quickly.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your poor dog! How is she? I hope she's healing quickly and well!!

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...