Monday, December 30, 2013

Read Scotland 2014 Challenge



Visiting Scotland in May was one of the highlights of 2013, so I was delighted to learn of the Read Scotland 2014 Challenge.  Peggy has also set up a Read Scotland discussion board for the challenge at Goodreads.

I'm hoping to reach at least the Highlander level (five to eight books) reading primarily from the following pool:

Letters from Skye. Jessica Brockmole
The January Flower. Orla Broderick
Mobius Dick. Andrew Crumey
The Secret Knowledge. Andrew Crumey
Lanark. Alasdair Gray
The Lewis Man. Peter May
The Heart Broke In. James Meek
We Are Now Beginning Our Descent. James Meek
Night Waking. Sarah Moss
Skye. Norman Newton
The Doctor's Family. Mrs.Oliphant
The Mystery of Mrs. Blencarrow. Mrs.Oliphant
And the Land Lay Still. James Robertson
Girl Meets Boy. Ali Smith
The First Person. Ali Smith
The Whole Story and other stories. Ali Smith
Robinson. Muriel Spark
The Horses. Elaine Walker



4 comments:

  1. Susan, so glad to meet you! I've read Letters From Skye and it is excellent! I have several Mrs. Oliphants to read and now the challenge will be the impetus to get to them. The other authors you mentioned are new to me. Have to go check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that one for my birthday. I'm glad to hear it's good. It's an odd assortment of books--some of the authors are Scottish, or were raised or educated in Scotland, but set their books elsewhere, and some of the books are set in Scotland by authors who come from Wales or Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting list. I'm just about to begin reading Gray's Lanark but the only other author that appears on my list too is Andrew Crumey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina, have you read Sputnik Caladonia? That was my intro to Crumey a few years back, but I really loved it.

    I've heard marvelous things about Lanark.

    ReplyDelete

A bang, not a whimper

  Two months into L.'s retirement, and I'm finished with the stockpiling of books. No more book purchases! Or at least, no purcha...